Calvary Lutheran Chapel
Calvary Lutheran Chapel held its first public worship service led by Pastor Haentzschel for 4 students on September 26, 1920. Since then, Calvary, being the oldest LCMS campus ministry in the U.S., has been blessed with 93 years of continuous ministry to the University of Wisconsin – Madison:
- Many people who attended Calvary as UW students have become leaders and pastors in their congregations.
- Students regularly cite the strong sense of community and fellowship as a reason to make Calvary their home.
- The ministry of Jesus through Word and Sacrament remains as strong as it was when Calvary started in 1920.
Following a pastoral vacancy in 2011, Mount Olive partnered with Calvary to reach the campus community with the Gospel. Mount Olive then assisted with weekly services and pastoral leadership leading to a partnership with the two congregations. A formal Ministry Agreement has been joyfully accepted by Mount Olive and Calvary so that the Lord can continue to grow the seeds that have been planted.